Read more: http://allbloggingtips.com/2012/01/08/add-floating-contact-me-button-to-blogger/#ixzz2ZnpiZgdG expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, August 24, 2012

Week 1

As I sit down to figure out what I am going to do for Open House next week and to describe my first week in words... I am failing.  It was an absolutely AWESOME week!  I originally had 22 children on my roster, and 20 of them came to Meet and Greet the Friday before school began... for a Title I school I'd say thats pretty impressive.  I have 21 first graders now which is way better than many teachers across the state (from what I am hearing).  Each one brings so much to the environment of the classroom.  I have had a breakthrough with a student who has had difficulty at school in the past.  On day one when I asked him for his agenda book, I had to assure him that I was writing a good note to his mom before he would surrender it from his death grip.  Today, I had forgotten to sign it and he came up to me as we were walking out the door and said, "Miss Thomas!!! My agenda book!".  I know as teachers we can agree, but it really does not take much to make us get all ooey gooey inside.  The first day of school I began implementing The Daily Five, and the first day my students were determined that they were going to get settled for only 30 seconds before their lack of discipline (on the first day of school... imagine that) caused me to ring by bell and join together to review wanted and unwanted behaviors.  I am also proud to say that after only a week of implementation and practice of the "Read to Self" strategies, my student have already built their independent reading stamina up to almost 10 minutes!! Minor Celebration on my end.  They even know what it means to "build stamina".  I do have table place mats that I place around the room on the floor, and the students know that is a place they need to put their bottom (MAJOR help in making sure they choose a space where they can be successful).  I was a believer after reading the book, but I am DEFINITELY a believer now that I have seen the impact.  I can actually visualize painlessly pulling my students to do reading assessments in the upcoming weeks... painless for me at least. 

We have practiced, and practiced, and practiced walking in the hallway using the acronym Hands by your side, All eyes forward, Lips zipped, Low speed... and if we practice, and practice, and practice some more I think we will get it.  I used many of Julia Cook's books to set expectations.  I read Personal Space Camp and we discussed why it was important to have your own personal space.  I read My Mouth is a Volcano and we practiced raising our hands and waiting our turn to share our "very important words".  I read Bully B.E.A.N.S to show the importance of standing up to bullies, but also giving them a fresh start at the beginning of the year in case they have changed.  I also read Tattle Tongue and we created an anchor chart of the difference between tattling and telling the teacher something important.  One of my children was actually convinced that he was getting "tattle tongue", because his tongue began to itch after we read the book.  After much discussion of the credibility of this book one of my students came to the conclusion that a teacher read the book so it must be true and we better stop tattling... so, I am considering it a success. 

I am so looking forward to learning from and teaching each of these students.  They have already become a huge part of my life, and I know I will shed a few tears of motherly pride as I pass them on to the next teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment